Gaps in teeth and hard-to-reach areas created by misalignment can create an unhealthy oral environment. Orthodontics can help prevent serious issues such as periodontal disease and tooth decay while achieving a properly aligned and aesthetically pleasing smile. Dr. Yamen Akhras provides orthodontics for patients at his practice in Orland Park, IL, and will prepare you with all you need to know about at-home care, follow-up visits, and when treatment should be completed.
Orthodontics can improve the aesthetics of your smile as well as benefit current and lasting oral health.
Braces & Bonding Case
Who Can Benefit from Orthodontics?
Treatment with orthodontics can dramatically improve the appearance of patients' smiles and reduce feelings of self-consciousness. Additionally, orthodontics correct health problems caused by tooth misalignment, which can be detrimental later in life.
- Gapped teeth: This is typically an aesthetic issue with the upper front teeth and/or lateral incisors that results from the teeth and jaw being mismatched.
- Underbite: This type of malocclusion results in the top teeth biting behind the bottom teeth. It can result in a number of problems including difficulty with eating and speaking, tooth decay, nighttime breathing problems, and temporomandibular disorder (TMJ).
- Overbite: In normal alignment, the overbite is between 3-5 millimeters. If the upper teeth extend too far from the lower teeth, it can cause similar problems to underbite.
- Crowded teeth: The jaw sometimes lacks the proper space to accommodate all your teeth. Crowding can cause abnormal tooth wear, gum disease, and tooth decay.
- Open bite: This issue results when the upper and lower teeth in the front portion of the mouth do not touch, even when the jaws are closed. In addition to aesthetic problems, it can interfere with speech.
- Crossbite: When one or more of the upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth, it can cause premature tooth wear, gum disease, chewing problems, and TMJ.
Patients are typically recommended for orthodontics in their early adulthood, but can also pursue treatment later in life.
Upper Braces to Shift A Single Tooth
Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign®
A wide variety of orthodontic issues can be addressed with both traditional braces and Invisalign®, giving patients the option to choose the treatment that best fits their dental needs.
- Traditional braces: Trusted as a solution to misalignment for many years, traditional braces can help patients that require almost any degree of correction. Traditional braces are secured onto teeth and connected by a wire. Regular visits are required to tighten to the braces. Dr. Akhras offers traditional metal brackets as well as ceramic (clear) brackets.
- Invisalign®: These custom-made clear plastic aligners are practically invisible, and can be removed for eating and for cleaning your teeth. Patients switch out their aligner trays every few weeks to subtly realign teeth. Invisalign® has many benefits, but not all patients are candidates.
Be sure to discuss your specific dental needs and goals with Dr. Akhras during your consultation.
Orthodontics can improve the aesthetics of your smile as well as benefit current and lasting oral health. To schedule a consultation for yourself or a family member, contact our practice today.