Treatment for Chipped Teeth
While a chipped tooth usually is not cause for major concern, you may experience some discomfort. Depending on which tooth is chipped, you may see a reduction in function or feel self-conscious about your appearance. At Premier Dental & Implant Center in Orland Park, IL, Dr. Yamen Akhras offers a wide range of dental services. After examining your tooth and discussing your needs and budget, he can recommend an appropriate treatment for your chipped tooth.
Is a Chipped Tooth Serious?
In most cases, a chipped tooth is not serious. You are not at risk of developing an infection or losing the tooth. Some patients experience pain after chipping a tooth, which may be due to inflammation of the inner soft tissues, or pulp. Generally, any discomfort is mild and goes away shortly after.
Although not serious, a chipped tooth may affect your dental function. You may have trouble biting into certain foods, which may force you to favor one side of your mouth over another. Over time, this can lead to misalignment if not addressed. Additionally, many patients feel self-conscious about chipped teeth, especially when it affects one of the front teeth.
While you do not need to seek emergency treatment, Dr. Akhras recommends making an appointment sooner rather than later. This will allow him to examine the tooth for further damage and recommend a suitable treatment.
What Treatment Options are Available?
Dr. Akhras offers several different treatment options for chipped teeth. The treatment you choose will depend on the affected tooth as well as your budget and concerns about aesthetics. You and Dr. Akhras can select one of the following treatments after discussing your individual needs.
- Porcelain Veneers: If you chipped one or more of your front-facing teeth, porcelain veneers are a great treatment option. The porcelain is strong and durable, and the thin veneer shell attaches to the front of the affected tooth or teeth. Not only does it conceal the damage, restoring your tooth to its natural shape, but it also restores your dental function. Dr. Akhras can customize the porcelain shading so that it matches your surrounding teeth.
- Dental Bonding: Using composite resin, Dr. Akhras can apply the material to your chipped tooth, restoring its shape. Composite resin is also customizable, so we can ensure the material blends right in with your natural tooth.
- Onlays: Some teeth, especially your molars, may benefit more from a dental restoration such as an onlay. These custom restorations can repair a molar with a chipped cusp.
- Dental Crowns: In some cases, a chipped tooth may require a dental crown to repair the damage and restore dental function. Dr. Akhras offers porcelain crowns so your smile is strong and beautiful.
- Root Canal Therapy: In the event that the pulp of the tooth is inflamed, you may need root canal therapy to remove the infected tissues. After performing this treatment, you will likely need a dental crown to reinforce and protect your tooth.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you chipped a tooth, there is no need to be alarmed. Dr. Akhras can repair your tooth. Contact our office to schedule an appointment.